This is the season for family and friends to get together. With parties and gatherings in full swing, here are some fun game ideas to keep the kids occupied and entertained!
Find Santa’s Reindeer
This is a scavenger hunt with a Christmas theme.
- Buy 9 small little reindeer toys or ornaments.
- Before the party starts, hide them around the house. Choose a mixture of hiding spots that are both easy and difficult to locate. One could be under the table or another buried deep inside the tree, etc.
- When it is time for the game, give the children a pencil and paper (or the supervising adult if the child is very young).
- Explain to them that Santa has lost his reindeer and he needs their help to find them. Ask them to write down where each reindeer is.
- The winners can be the first 3 children that come back to you with the correct answers.
EXPECTING SOON?: Read This as You Prepare for Baby's Arrival
What is in My Stocking?
Guessing game for young children.
- Prepare a thick sock and some small little Christmassy trinkets such as candy canes, mini-boxes, or even scotchtape. Have around 20 little items prepared
- Divide the children into 2 groups.
- Out of sight from the children, the Game Master will place one item into the sock.
- Each team will take turns sending a child to touch and feel the item in the bag. The child must try to guess what it is. The team will score a point if they guess the item correctly.
- The Game Master will carry on playing the game until all the items are used up and the winner is the team with the most points at the end of the game.
Fill Up My Stocking!
A sweet team relay race for kids.
- Prepare a clean, long stocking ahead of the party. Also prepare two large bowls filled with candy and sweets, and a large spoon. Place the bowl at one end of the room and two adult volunteers can hold the sock at the other end of the room.
- Divide the children into two groups. The children in each group should be lined up in a row.
- When the race starts, each group will send one child to use the spoon to scoop up the candy and carry it across the room to fill up the stocking. After depositing the candy into the stocking, the child must return to the rest of his or her team mates and pass the spoon to the next child and return to the back of the line.
- This cycle is repeated until the stocking is completely full.
- The first team to fill up the stocking wins!
Feed the Snowman
A mini-carnival game for kids.
- Prepare in advance a large cardboard picture with a Snowman on the front. Cut out a good-sized hole where the Snowman’s mouth is. Also prepare some individually plastic-wrapped sweets.
- Prop up the cardboard Snowman slightly away from the wall and mark out some lines for the children to stand behind.
- Each child will be given some sweets to toss into the Snowman’s mouth.
- The child wins a prize if they can feed the Snowman 3 sweets.
Candy Got Stuck in My Mouth
A Christmas tongue-twister game.
- Get the kids to say the following silly Christmas phrases three times as fast as they can.
- Everyone who tries gets a candy or sweet as a prize.
“Peeking presents make perfect pickled picks”
“Santa says stars sometime sing shiny singing songs”
“Candy canes carefully cover cocoa cookie cravings”
“Bing bang bing bong, banish big bells with a busy bustling bong”
“Snow shows show striped soupy saddled songs”
More Stories on Christmas: