Looking for Chinese New Year craft ideas for some bonding craft time with the little one? Here is one that makes use of red packets, or ang pows, to create festive decorations.
We hope you’ll have fun trying out this original Plum Blossom Branches Chinese New Year craft idea.
Plum Blossom Branches Craft Idea
This Chinese New Year ang pow craft takes inspiration from Chinese ink paintings of plum blossoms, where the branches are often bending at artistic angles.
What you’ll need:
- ang pows
- brown bendy straws
- pen knife (only for adult’s use)
- double-sided tape
- sponge for floral arrangement
- a container
Follow these steps:
To make the plum blossoms
1. Cut out the two bottom corners of each ang pow.
2. Cut each ang pow corner as shown to create petals.
3. Open up each flower as pictured and wrap double-sided tape at the bottom so it can be popped into a branch (straw) and secured.
To create the branches
4. Cut a slit near the end of a straw, just big enough for another straw to be slotted in at an angle. (This should be done by an adult.) You’ll probably need to fold the end of the second straw a little to be able to get more of it into the slit.
5. Slot a third straw into the bottom end of the lowest straw. Together, these three straws form one long bendy branch.
6. Vary the position of the slits and insert different ends of the straws into these slits to create different-looking branches.
Putting everything together
7. Pop the flowers with double-sided tape into the straw ends that jut out. Press the straw a little to make sure that the tape is sticking onto it.
8. Plant a few flowers on one branch. If you prefer to have more flowers on a branch, cut short segments out of a straw, cut more slits on the branch, and insert the straw segments inside. Then pop the flowers into these straw ends.
9. Cut the sponge so that it fits into your container.
10. Now you’re ready to arrange your plum blossom branches for display!
Here’s wishing you a very blessed time spent with those you love this Chinese New Year!