Did you know that electronic devices and office equipment can be recycled?
Yes, and they should be disposed properly and not into the common waste bin or down the chute!
Next time your laptop or mobile device breaks down, don’t just throw them into any bin. Throwing them into the right bin will help with proper treatment of e-waste.
Support Singapore’s E-waste Recycling Programme: Where To Recycle Batteries and Electronics
There are more than 300 e-waste recycling bins in Singapore, quarterly collection drives and over the counter collection services. The first nationwide e-waste management system ensures that e-waste is properly treated to protect the environment and public health, while recovering important resources.
What is E-waste?
Did you know that the Tokyo Olympic 2020 medals are made from recycled e-waste? Specifically discarded smartphones and laptops!
E-waste includes a few categories: ICT equipment, batteries and light bulbs.
- ICT Equipment includes printers, power banks, computers, laptops, mobile phones, tablets, network and set-top boxes, TVs and desktop monitors.
- Batteries of sizes AA, AAA, AAAA, D, C, 9-volt, Button Cell are acceptable in the e-waste bins as well.
- Light bulbs with bulb circumference of no more than 100mm can also be thrown in e-waste bins.
For items that are too large like computer monitors, long fluorescent and LED tubes, they can be dropped off at ALBA’s collection events or doorstep collection can be arranged.
Where to find E-waste bins
Locate an e-waste bin near your home using this map.
For items that cannot fit through a 5 cm by 2.5 cm slot, they should be collected by ALBA separately.
Items for ALBA’s collection events and doorstep collection include:
- ICT equipment: Printers, power banks, computers, laptops, mobile phones and tablets, network and set-top boxes, desktop monitors
- Large household appliances: Air-conditioners, dryers, refrigerators, televisions, washing machines
- Electric mobility devices: PMDs, power assisted bicycles, electric mobility scooters
- Light bulbs, long or circular fluorescent/LED tubes
Doorstep collections are chargeable at a fee, you may also choose to drop them off at ALBA’s depot at 20 Tuas Loop, Singapore 637350. Download ALBA’s STEP Up app for more details.
Different types of E-waste Collection Bins
Before you head down to the nearest E-waste collection bin, do take note of the different kinds of bins.
ICT, Battery, Bulb 3-in-1 Bin
Accepted e-waste includes batteries, light bulbs, ICT equipment, ICT peripherals like mouse, keyboards, cables, wires, headphones, earpiece
Batteries & Bulbs bin
Just bulbs and batteries please!
ONLY batteries in AA, AAA, AAAA, D, C 9-volt and button
How about Ink Cartridges?
Ink and toner cartridges can be recycled at all public libraries thanks to Project Homecoming.
Refer to this link for a full list of locations of Project Homecoming boxes.
Other Kinds of E-Waste
For other kinds of unregulated e-waste such as electrical fan, food processor, blender, microwave, rice cooker, ovens, vacuum cleaner, digital watch, coffee machine, hairdryer, soundbar, walkie-talkie, camera, CDs, DVDs, speakers, game consoles, diffusers, air purifier, electric toothbrush – they should be brought to a Cash for Trash (CFT) station.
Before You Recycle Your E-waste, Don’t Forget
- Erase ALL data on your devices or do a factory reset
- Discard only long fluorescent tubs at Collection Drives or at ALBA’s depot
- Disconnect any cables for appliances and switch them off
- Empty, defrost and clean refrigerators and deep freezers before disposal
Happy e-waste recycling! To a better environment for all!