Here’s my version of Roast Char Siew, slightly sweeter than what’s sold at coffee shops, yet tasty and tender. The secret to getting Char Siew right is by starting off with the right cut of the pork. It’s called 不见天 Bu Jian Tian, which is the pig’s armpit and literally means the part of the pig that doesn’t see the sky! This portion of the pig is most prized and results in a delightfully tender roast. And of course, don’t forget to use Turbo Broiler so it makes the cleaning up even simpler.
Recipe for Roast Char Siew
- 1.5 kg of pork (不见天 Bu Jian Tian), wash and pat very dry with paper towels
- 12 tablespoons of oyster sauce
- 10 tablespoons of sugar
- 1 and a half tablespoons of dark soya sauce
- Let butcher know you want the 不见天 Bu Jian Tian pork for char siew. They can cut it into strips for you.
- Marinate it and place in the fridge for 24 hours.
- Preheat oven 250 degrees Celcius.
- Place the pork on a rack to grill for about 35 minutes or more depending on the size of cut pork.
- Keep some of the marinade and cook it in a pan till it bubbles.
- Retain the sauce from the drippings of grilled pork from the oven. Add on to the cooked marinade sauce.
- Slice up the char siew, serve and enjoy!
Good for a family of five.
Check out this other Roast Chicken Thighs with Spices recipe, Grilled Chicken Wings recipe and this Delicious Whole Grilled Chicken recipe you can make using a Turbo Broiler or oven.
READ: Kids Can Rescue a Penguin, Earn a Badge at HarbourFront Centre, Till 18 Jun
READ: Go Looney at this Free-to-Play Inflatables that Kids will Love
GET: Your Turbo Convection Oven here!
Simple #homecooked-recipes is a series specially developed to inspire beginner cooks with work and kids to handle, and not much time to spare in the kitchen. The recipes are deliberately simple enough even for kids to help you with them. Click here for more simple home-cooked recipes.
READ: Cooking with Kids 101: 8 Easy Meals Children Can Help Prepare
SHOP: Get kitchen appliances, cookbooks and other items that make cooking fun and easy here!
This story contains affiliate links. This means we earn a small fee if you purchase something through a link from our website. There is no additional cost to you. This helps to support Little Day Out and keeps us going.