Black beans – the magic ingredient that gives dishes a deep, flavourful, savoury taste features big in Sliced Mackerel with Black Bean Sauce, our dish for the day.
In Cantonese, black beans are known as dau(3) xi(3) and in Mandarin they are called hei(1) dou(4). A type of fermented and salted black soybean, black beans are frequently used in Chinese cooking.
On its own, the mackeral is a fine firm fish with a delectable taste. Cook it with just two or three other ingredients and the fish gets totally transformed. The main preparation needed in today’s dish is mincing up these ingredients. Soon after, you can enjoy the fragrant saucy magic of black beans!
Recipe for Sliced Mackerel with Black Bean Sauce
HOLIDAY IDEAS: Discover the Best Things To Do in December
SANTA'S TOY FACTORY: Festive Workshops, Christmas Jingles & a Chance to Win a Car!
- 400 grams mackerel fish (marinated with two tablespoons of sesame oil and some pepper)
- 2 level tablespoons of dried fermented black bean
- 8 cloves of garlic
- Half a red chilli or more (optional)
- Mince the black beans, garlic and chillies.
- Prepare aside 5 tablespoons of water in a bowl.
- Place 2 tablespoons of oil in wok.
- Fry till the minced ingredients till fragrant.
- Add in the sliced mackerel fish to fry. Don’t stir it, use the ladle to push fish around evenly. Too vigorous stirring will break up fish.
- Add the 5 tablespoons of water from the bowl.
- Lower the fire to simmer till the fish is cooked.
- When cooked, add 1 teaspoon of cornflour mixed with water to thicken the sauce. Add salt to taste.
Good for a family of three to four.
Simple #homecooked-recipes is a new daily series specially developed to inspire beginner cooks with work and kids to handle, and not much time to spare in the kitchen. The recipes are deliberately simple enough even for kids to help you with them. Click here for more simple home-cooked recipes.