On 3 April 2019, it was announced that Resorts World Sentosa and Marina Bay Sands have new expansion plans with an investment value of S$9 billion to be poured into Singapore. Here’s what we can expect as the two integrated resorts expand.
Resorts World Sentosa Expansion Plans
Resorts World Sentosa, which opened in 2010, is set to see a sizable expansion of its footprint with an additional 164,000 square metres of attractions and lifestyle offerings. This is approximately 50% more new Gross Floor Area.
This expansion will be done in phases with new experiences to be opened every year from 2020 till around 2025.
Some of the highlights of Resorts World Sentosa’s expansions plans include:
- two new themed areas at Universal Studios Singapore – Minion Park and Super Nintendo World;
- tripling in size of the present-day S.E.A. Aquarium, which is proposed to be rebranded as Singapore Oceanarium;
- new Waterfront Lifestyle Complex with two new hotels that will add 1,100 more keys to the resort;
- replacement of the Resorts World Theatre with an Adventure Dining Playhouse; and
- a Driverless Transport System between Sentosa and mainland Singapore.
Marina Bay Sands Expansion
Marina Bay Sands, an instantly recognisable part of the Marina Bay skyline since its opening in 2010, announced that it will be adding on a fourth luxury hotel tower. According to a statement from Las Vegas Sands, owners of Marina Bay Sands, the new expansion will be “Located immediately adjacent to the existing Marina Bay Sands Integrated Resort (IR).”
Some of the facilities that will come about with the expansion of Marina Bay Sands include:
- a new 15,000 seat area which will feature leading design and cutting-edge technology;
- a new hotel tower with approximately 1,000 all-suite rooms and a sky roof with a swimming pool; and
- new food and beverage offerings along with meeting rooms, ballrooms and exhibition halls at the new tower.
The projected budget for the Marina Bay Sands expansion is approximately S$4.5 billion but no timeline for its completion has been announced yet.