Steamed fish with XO sauce – a spicy dressing typically made of dried scallops, chilli peppers, dried shrimps, ham and garlic with an umami flavour – gives this dish the extra oomph! XO normally denotes high quality, prestige and luxury in Hong Kong as the word itself comes from fine XO (extra-old) cognac. Get yours from any supermarket or online here at Amazon or here at Shopee to make this easy and exquisite dish.
Recipe for Steamed Fish with XO Sauce
- 1 fish (about 400 to 500 grams)
- 1 teaspoon of sliced spring onions, to be kept aside
In a bowl mix:
- 1 teaspoon of sliced spring onions
- 2 teaspoons of minced ginger
- 2 teaspoons of minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons of soya sauce
- 3 tablespoons of water
- 2 tablespoons of XO sauce
- Rub salt on the stomach and on both sides of the fish.
- Prepare the rest of the ingredients to make the sauce.
- In a pot, put some water to boil.
- Place the fish on a plate and pour the bowl of mixed sauce over the fish.
- When the pot of water is boiling, put the plate of fish on a rack above the boiling water and steam it for 10 minutes.
- Place the remaining one teaspoon of the green sliced spring onions on top of the fish after it is steamed. Serve and enjoy your steamed fish with XO sauce while it’s still hot.
Click here for more recipe ideas.
SHOP: Get kitchen appliances, cookbooks and other items that make cooking fun and easy here!
This story contains affiliate links. This means we earn a small fee if you purchase something through a link from our website. There is no additional cost to you. This helps to support Little Day Out and keeps us going.
HOLIDAY IDEAS: Discover the Best Things To Do in December
SANTA'S TOY FACTORY: Festive Workshops, Christmas Jingles & a Chance to Win a Car!