Star Wars is full of colourful characters and memorable quotes. Here are 12 of our favourite quotes from a galaxy far far away that demonstrate, tongue firmly in cheek, how the wisdom of Star Wars can apply in different parenting situations.
Star Wars Wisdom for Parents
1. “I find your lack of faith disturbing.” – Darth Vader
When to use it: When your child tells you they cannot do something, like learning to balance on their bike.
2. “I am your father.” – Darth Vader
When to use it: When your child asks you for the eleventh time why they need to listen to you when you tell them to eat their vegetables / take a bath / go to bed. Feel free to substitute “father” as appropriate.
3. “It’s not my fault.” – Han Solo
When to use it: When your child drops his or her food on the floor and looks at you as if you somehow magically made him or her do it.
4. “Your focus determines your reality.” – Qui-Gon Jinn
When to use it: When you want to encourage your kids to focus on a task.
5. “It’s a trap!” – Admiral Ackbar
When to use it: When your child points at a toy / tube of slime / Pokemon cards and wants you to buy it.
6. “No! Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try.” – Yoda
When to use it: When you want your kids to learn how to put on their shoes / button up their shirt / go potty on their own.
7. “Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger lead to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” – Yoda
When to use it: When you want your kids to conquer their fears.
8. “The Force is strong with this one.” – Darth Vader
When to use it: When you want to praise your kids for a job well done.
9. “As long as there’s light, we’ve got a chance.” – Poe Dameron
When to use it: When you want to encourage your kids to get their homework done before dinnertime.
10. “Patience you must have my young Padawan.” – Yoda
When to use it: When you want your child to sit still at meal times.
11. “In my experience, there is no such thing as luck.” – Obi-Wan Kenobi
When to use it: When you are trying to teach your kids the value of hard work.
12. “This is a new day, a new beginning.” – Ahsoka Tano
When to use it: In the mornings when you are trying to get the kids out of bed and ready for school.
13. “Stop touching things.” – The Mandalorian
When to use it: This one is obvious.
14. “Wars not make one great.” – Yoda
When to use it: When you are trying to stop siblings from fighting with each other.
15. “This is the Way.” – The Armorer, The Mandalorian
When to use it: When questioned by kids why they must listen to you.
There you have it – gems that convey the parenting wisdom of Star Wars. Now, go and may the force be with you.