Taiwanese Beef Noodle Soup is a combination of delicious, tender beef, with rich and slightly spicy broth, fresh noodles, bak choy and fresh scallion.
My love for Taiwanese Beef Noodle Soup has propelled me to search for and try out several recipes. However, they always seemed incredibly complicated and intimidating, from making the broth to figuring out the balance of spices, most important of all, how to get the beef to the perfect tenderness.
But with the help of my beloved magical Instant Pot (check out what I shared earlier with the Instant Pot Seafood Boil recipe) and this easy recipe, you will be able to put this comforting noodle soup on the table in just 30 minutes.
Recipe for Taiwanese Beef Noodle Soup
- 900 grams of beef shank, cut into chunks
- 1 tablespoon of oil
- 5 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1-inch chunk of ginger, finely chopped
- 2 to 3 star anise
- 2 stalks of scallion, cut into 2-inch length
- 2 tablespoons of Chili Bean Paste (La Dou Ban Jiang)
- 1 tablespoon of rock sugar
- 1/3 cup of soy sauce
- 1/3 cup of rice wine
- 1 large tomato, cut into chunks
- 5 cups of water, or enough to cover the beef
- 4 portions of noodle
- Blanched bak choy
- Chopped cilantro/scallion for garnish
- Bring a pot of water to boil. Put all the beef chunks into the boil water for 5 minutes or until white foam forms at the top. Carefully drain off the water, rinse beef chunks with clean water and set aside.
- Switch on the SAUTE mode on the Instant Pot, wait for it to turn to “HOT”. Place the oil into the inner pot and use the wooden spoon to spread it around the pot.
- Add in garlic, ginger, star anise, cut scallion stalks and sauté until fragrant.
- Add in the beef chunks, bean paste and rock sugar and sauté for a few minutes.
- Add the soy sauce, rice wine and tomatoes.
- Add enough water to cover everything in the pot.
- Turn the SAUTE mode off. Then, press MANUAL and cook for 30 minutes. Be sure that the knob is on SEALING position.
- After 30 minutes, QUICK RELEASE the pressure. Once the pressure needle drops, the soup is ready to be served.
- Adjust the taste according to your preference. Add a bit of sugar if it is too spicy, or add more chili sauce if it is too mild for your liking.
- While waiting for the soup to be ready, boil a pot of water, blanch the clean bak choy. Follow by cooking the fresh noodles of your choice according to the package instructions.
- Time to assemble the noodle soup. Ladle a scoop of broth into the bowl and add cooked noodle. Add blanched bak-choy on the side, and ladle the beef and more soup into the bowl. Garnish with scallion or cilantro. Enjoy!
NOTE: If you don’t have a pressure cooker or an Instant Pot, simply follow steps 3 to 6, using a pot placed on a medium-high heat until the water is boiling. Then, reduce the heat to simmer for 2 to 4 hours, until the beef is fall-apart tender. Or better yet, click here to get your own Instant Pot here.
Simple #homecooked-recipes is a series specially developed to inspire beginner cooks with work and kids to handle, and not much time to spare in the kitchen. The recipes are deliberately simple enough even for kids to help you with them. Click here for more simple home-cooked recipes.
This story contains affiliate links. This means we earn a small fee if you purchase something through a link from our website. There is no additional cost to you. This helps to support Little Day Out and keeps us going.